Tuesday, October 21, 2008

They're Here

FAN IT UP

I can't possibly be anymore excited about my beloved Hornets than this year. They arguably have the best starting line up in the league with CP3(best point in the league), Peja(purest shooter in the league), David West(possibly the most important person to the team other than CP3), Tyson Chandler (got him from Chicago and has paid dividends, I believe he lead the league in offensive rebounds last year), and rounding out the starting five will either be Morris Peterson(aquired from the Raptors last year) and or Posey (aquired from the Celtics this year) both make a solid start at the 2 spot.

The only thing that worries me is their bench, they had a shakey bench last year and another one this year. Well I guess it's more a shallow bench than a shakey one. Their biggest bench contributor from last year was Jenero Pargo who went on to play ball in europe this year. A few standout bench players are Mike James(solid back up for CP3, but no Pargo) Julian Write (arguably the most athletic player on the team).....they really don't have much backing up Chandler or West....if one of those guys goes down the hornets would be in big trouble.

All in all I feel they have a competive edge this year with their youth and talent. If they don't win the championship this year than I beleive they will be in contention for years to come. One thing I know for sure is they are going to put on a show. CP3 and Chandler led the league by far with alley oops, and if that's not entertaining enough then let CP3 dazel you with his "skill", or David West play the 4 spot how it should be played with one of the most accurate mid range jumpers as well as some of the most powerful post up moves in the game. The scary thing about Chris Paul is that he isn't even fully developed as a player(he's 23). I can't even imagine him at the peak of his career. This year they have more games being televised than probably the last 5 or more years combined...I have no proof of this, but as a fan I don't remember their games getting televised....at least not since Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning left the team.

In any case..if your not a fan of the NBA then I encourage you to watch a game or two this year, it's one huge sports soap opera and I love it. I feel like I am in third grade again which is when I got into the Hornets. I admit the league had been in a lull, but I really believe they have cleaned up the game quite a bit, and there are stars again as well as a ton of rivalry games. To me there is no other league more entertaining than the NBA.


3 comments:

Martin said...

Love the new Hornets-inspired theme change.

You're right - w/ CP3 in there, you guys are gonna be contenders for years to come. But the West is just too damn good and balanced right now for anyone, even strong teams like the Hornets, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers, etc., to be the favorite to win.

And now Durant's another year older, and Oden is gonna join the Blazers and keep on improving that young team - its just not fair. Of the top 15 teams in the NBA, I'd say w/ confidence that 12 are from the West. It was the same last year. The West is just too damn good. If the Rockets or Hornets are in the East, then we're the #1 or #2 seed, and get to cruise through the regular season to the conference finals. Instead, we have to fight it out, every night of the regular season just to make the playoffs, and have to face tough competition starting from round one, even if you're a top seed.

Anyways, glad you're excited about the NBA season - not many people I know even follow the NBA anymore. It's still a great league, and you're right, it feels now, more than ever, that its getting back to how good and fun it was to watch when I was a kid.

Go Rockets!!

Justin said...

Is Chris "The Birdman" Anderson coming back?

Clint said...

Naw, he's been released...he's a free agent...maybe the rockets will take him...Ron Artest and the Birdman might make a good team. Remember you heard it here first